Tuesday, October 20, 2009

The Never-ending Shepard Fairey Extravaganza

I'm sorry but I just had to get this off of my chest because I am just SO sick and tired of all of the coverage around this issue. Well folks, it turns out that Shepard Fairey was indeed full of shit and did steal that image of Obama but lied about it to cover his ass(http://www.theworldsbestever.com/2009/10/20/shepard-fairey-tuesday-somebodys-a-big-liar/). Maybe it's just me but, no surprise there. I mean let's be real, if you were facing a million-dollar lawsuit from the Associated Press about copyright infringement would you honestly tell the truth and say yes I did or try everything in your power to avoid it? I'm not saying what he did was right but the fact that people are so surprised by his actions and angered baffles me. Artists have been getting away with copyright issues for YEARS. THIS IS NOTHING NEW and better yet, they make a whole successful career off of it and manage to make a hell of a lot of money. I won't name names but certain people have been making comments about how he used his corporate/capital schemes to make a name for himself. While this is indeed true again I say, THIS IS NOTHING NEW. I hate to break it to ya'll but if you think that being an artist automatically you avoid capitalism and corporate crap then you are in for a rude awakening. The whole gallery network in the end is a, you guessed it, BUSINESS! Not knocking galleries by all means but they are running a business in the end and money is power, especially nowadays. Corporate America is one of the main foundations of the country, hence why the economy is in the toilet. Like I said, what he did was wrong and it's crap but on the other hand this kind of stuff happens all of the time. Seriously people, let's all move on with our lives. Okay, now I feel so much better now that I have gotten that off of my chest.

No comments:

Post a Comment